View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 5:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
I really hope the statesman is not the site of a stupid f'in arena. It would ruin this area of town more than the statesman does. As the closest neighbor to the statesman i for one will fight tooth and nail so it doesn't get built here. The only reason anybody would want a stadium built here is so they can go visit dt after the game. if you need the arena to be dt for that then i hope its not built dt because you dont belong dt with your kids who only wanna eat at some chain food joint anyways. What this neghborhood needs is a mixed use neighborhood with real character. What this city needs is the same exact thing. Build the stadium at the holly st power plant site. Better yet build it right where all the stadiums already are. Build it on ut campus, or where burger center is, or connect it to barton creek mall and then you have a mall and a stadium.
i agree, but not with Holly or Barton Creek Mall. A large public facility like this needs to be kept out of neighborhoods, which is one of many reasons I oppose the Statesman location. Most of the time it will be nothing but a hulking, hideous dead space. It's an all-or-nothing proposition, where the area is flooded with activity when there's an event, and dead when there isn't. We might as well add another convention center, except arenas are even worse. Does anyone really get anything out of the existence of the Erwin Center when they aren't attending an event there? No, it's just a waste of space. I endorse putting it right around the I-35/45 interchange in beautiful West Creeedmore, or at Loop 1 and 45 in the no-man's land of Southwest Round Rock.