View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:45 PM

Wilshire Country Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Google Books
The Wilshire Country Club, ca. 1922. From what I can see via Google, the building has been replaced or remodeled...
anyone know?

jericl cat

Well, Jeff, while we're reviewing books...I looked at Full Service at the Strand, where it's half-price, no shipping... and I still didn't buy it...the book, I mean. Maybe every word is true, but it looks like a sad rehash of the same old stories, such as Cary & Randolph, Rock Hudson, ad nauseum. Exposés of Hollywood hypocrisy seems a little unsurprising at this point. Somehow you doubt that this guy was as personally popular as he thinks he was with the stars who paid him--and what a pal to try to cash in (again) on it all now. (And Gore Vidal's rec is not exactly worth much these days. There's another one screaming, remember me!? I'm not dead yet! I'm not a bourgeois square! I slept with stars! I had sex once!)

And while I actually slogged through the whole thing...Michael Gross's new Unreal Estate is similarly mind-numbing. Panting descriptions of the excesses of owners of some houses in BH, Bel-Air etc wear mighty thin.

Btw, I wouldn't want to read so much repetitive detail about the sex lives or domestic arrangements of poor people either! And I am very very interested in L.A. domestic architecture of the early-20th-century....
RE: You're wondering about the Wilshire Country Club. The club's buildings underwent a massive restoration/remodeling just a couple of years ago. As far as I've been able to find out, they still ARE the original buildings but had been victimized by a really unfortunate remodel 30+ years back, and it's that ugly remodel that was torn up & replaced. I haven't been inside since the work was done but am told it really looks good.

Ah - the fabulous Mystery Pier! The owners are great guys & do not discourage browsing. With the demise of the Mystery Bookshop, Mystery Pier
is the last man standing of great themed bookshops in L.A. Even if you only have a short time in town, Mystery Pier is SO worth your time.

As always, Ethereal & GW and all the other regular contributors, I'm truly awed by your breadth of knowledge & willingness to share. No other place on the web makes me feel as good about being an Angeleno as these pages.