View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:19 AM

Fred Harvey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I've been trying for some time now to find the location of this Fred Harvey Restaurant.
LAPL lists no information with this photograph.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=35042

Well, I finally found the answer via this postcard.

I naively thought all Fred Harvey Restaurants were in train stations
(Los Angeles Union Station had a beautiful Fred Harvey until it closed in 1967).

After I found out the address I was able to find more information on this particular Fred Harvey Restaurant. It turns out, the restaurant
was part of a Santa Fe Trailways Travel Center that used to be located at 1735 Cahuenga Boulevard. (phone GLadstone 1266)

below: This ad says it all.

http://laist.com/2010/01/30/laistory...n_cahuenga.php

Of course now I would like to find out more about this travel center that I knew nothing about.

____
Fred Harvey's on Cahuenga was a hot spot in the 1930's. Grace Ralston claimed to have named her favorite morning after drink, the Bloody Mary, there. Years later, the Crush Club opened in the 1960's, with little alteration to the exterior. Eventually, the building was boarded up. About ten years ago, the space was rebuilt and opened as the White Lotus. The site is no longer recognizable as Fred Harvey's, just as the old Tick Tock restaurant across the street is no longer recognizable. After closing down in the 1980's, it became Gorky's and is now Sharkey's.

The Greyhound Bus depot on Vine Street was closed awhile back and a new one was built just south of the old Fred Harvey's about ten years ago. The original Greyhound sign was moved from the Vine Street location to the new site on Cahuenga. This involved negotiations with Greyhound, who wanted to discard it in order to update their image. The original Vine Street Geyhound depot can be seen in many Hollywood movies, including The Killing (1956) with Sterling Hayden.