View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:00 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
The suburban type proposal was thankfully shot down by a judge. They very well could still try to get a Sams built there, but I presume it will would be a more urban type development. That was the main issue with it, not necessarily because it was a "Sams". To sum up what happened with this so far:

1. 12 story building gets demoed in dense/urban area.
2. City changes zoning as suited for developer.
3. Developer proposes suburban shopping center.
4. Neighbors take issue with this. Demand city intervene.
5. City declines to intervene to avoid getting sued by developer.
6. Local Association forms and sues Developer
7. Association wins. That's where we're at now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
One important detail.... The developer sold their initial plans (including renderings) to the community and city as a continuation of the West Village urban styled development, but there was one little paragraph or line in the zoning change that allowed for the developer to build a big box suburban styled development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
True. The city really dropped the ball on that one, that's why they we're afraid to intervene. Luckily the association did and won. Here's the article if anybody wants to read more on that. Surprise ruling imperils long-planned Sam's Club near downtown Dallas

Thanks for the history on this, guys. I'm glad to hear that the suburban-style development fell through. I agree that Sam's isn't the enemy of urban design - they could definitely fit in if designed appropriately for that part of town. Same with Target and other stores.

I live in China and we have a Walmart across the street. It takes up the 2nd and 3rd floors of a 5-story building in a large, pedestrian-oriented shopping and residential area. It's a five minute walk from my place. I came from a small town in Central Texas where the parking lot of Walmart could rival the size of Rhode Island. It's cool to see how stores can adapt to different environments if they really want to.