View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:09 PM

I think in one of the Spec articles they were taking back environmental responsibility from the province. I agree that's probably the province's motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I wonder if they're accepting the environmental liability along with it. I could see the province making this kind of deal if it takes that risk off their shoulders (which unfortunately puts any kind of future cleanup back into limbo, depending on what happens next with industrial land uses).

Shadows of backroom dealing aside, I imagine Bedrock will flip a substantial portion of the Hamilton land to fund investment in steel-making. If a deal for that hasn't already been cooked up, the city could still have opportunity to purchase some, or the port authority, or a private developer looking to re-purpose it for other industrial/commercial activities.

On the plus side, there must be prospect of a return to higher property tax revenue to the city as the assessment goes back up. I believe I read that in one of the Spec stories.

NOTE TO MODS: these last few posts should probably be moved to the Welcome Back, Stelco thread... this one has been primarily about the west harbour lands.