View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2009, 8:24 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Smile NEW YORK | 40 Wall Street | 927 feet | 70 Stories

Once the tallest building in the world (it surpassed the Woolworth building after 17 years but was surpassed by the Chrysler Building just weeks later), 40 Wall Street is undeniably one of the least appreciated architectural marvels of history (and a construction marvel too, it was built in 11 months). With a gorgeous parti, sleek, gorgeous ornamentation, and a awe-inspiring, pyramidal pinnacle 927 feet from the street, it still baffles me how generally ignored this building is. In fact, until the construction of the Empire State Building, 40 Wall Street had the highest occupied floor on earth (almost 75 feet higher than the Chrysler).

Maybe it's its mid street location (it's nearly impossible to take good pictures from street level, I've tried many times), or the fact that the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building stole the spotlight from it in the early years of its lifespan (from what I've noticed it seems that if nobody notices it at first a building will have a helluva time getting popular years later).

At some point in history, the building fell into neglect, with its facade turning almost completely black, and it was not cleaned up until Trump leased the building for 500 years in 1995 (why he didn't just buy it, I don't know).

And just like the Empire State Building, 40 Wall Street was hit by a Coast Guard plane.

Chances are nobody will read any of that, so I'll just start posting pictures.

The following are from Wikipedia:

From TGIGreeny on Flickr:

From CR on Flickr:

From KaiBo on Flickr:

From Zoltan on Flickr:

From massmatt on Flickr:

From ty law on Flickr:

From Selected Pixels on Flickr:

From on waters edge:

(Can't get this one to work, so I'll post the link, its a great shot)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyriazos/2970816494/