View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Well, what can you say about personal preferences?

But one observation I can make is that Portland and Seattle these days are flooded with transplants from California. I notice the "wilting flower" phenomenon much more in BC than I do in the United States, including transplants or would-be transplants from areas that make Vancouver's weather look really crappy in comparison. Outside of maybe the far north there is nothing in Canada equivalent to a move from LA to Minneapolis.

Americans will talk about up and coming cities. It's not unusual for San Franciscans or Seattleites to muse about moving to Boise or Austin (admittedly because they are being pushed out by a broken housing market, but Vancouver is similar). In Vancouver it's more common to hear people talk about how the rest of Canada offers nothing of value (or nothing that could possibly make up for the huge drawbacks) and how leaving the basement apartment to move to Toronto or Montreal would result in death.

I think this is a not-so-great aspect of Canadian and BC/Vancouver culture.
You like to compare the American experience with the Canadian one, but it's not a fair comparison. Of course, we could move to California, etc. for better weather, but it's only if we are willing to move outside our own country. Americans have much more choice than we do for comparable livable climates and large population centres, and that's a big difference. In the US, the climates of Seattle and Portland are nothing special, just a novelty for those who like rain and cooler summers, but in Canada we don't have a Florida or a Southern California to move to, so maybe BC (or according to many, possibly S. Ont.) is the best we have to offer in that regard.