View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It's objectively horrible.

But all things considered, a city "design board" would be even worse.
Yes it would. The horrors of what they would do to any interesting design would blow you away.

Now to read through this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
That Academy Award winning director Mel Gibson and Teen Choice Award winning actor Vince Vaughn agree with me and wish there were a design approval process for the Midtown East rezoning.
And they'd be just as wrong.

Quote:
Having a panel of people approving designs is not an impossibility. It would be more accurate to say that you personally wouldn't like it.

This is what I like to call "small sample size theater." You need to learn and understand the difference between New York in 2009 and New York in 2019. The market is different, the post-9/11 fear of tall buildings is gone, and lopping off 200 feet from a 1,250 foot tower so as to not outshine the ESB simply wouldn't happen seeing as how the ESB has been surpassed in height by 4 (and counting) buildings since then.

So eliminate some of the other hoops instead. These aren't poor, fledgling, upstart developers just trying to put food on the table for their families. In fact, they're a highly nepotistic cabal/cartel with massive influence and they get tons of sweetheart deals from the government. Either way, they'll be making bank.

It is my opinion that these buildings are essentially public art since a) architecture is an art form + b) the buildings have elements that are prominently visible to the public. You may disagree, but that's my opinion, and one of the things I love about SSP is the rich tapestry of diverse opinions that can be found here.

I don't know why you and NYguy have this burning desire to remind people that taste in aesthetics is subjective, and right before giving your own subjective opinions to boot! I'm not too big on "muh individualism" so I think design approval should be a part of the process because most of the millions of people that will have to see this grotesque tower every day will think it's ugly. Londoners and Parisians are surely grateful that such is the case for their cities/metros; they'd hate to have a bunch of blue and/or concrete boxes punishing their eyes on a daily basis. INB4 "this is New York, you don't know how things work here."

Sorry, but you get no points. We didn't need a design board to get the likes of the Empire State or the Chrysler Building. One of the best skyscrapers we have, 53w53 barely survived a run in with those hoops. Our great skyline got where it is, not with design by panel. And yes, I"ll keep reminding you of that until your better judgment absorbs it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.