View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 10:03 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
I am not arguing against connecting Ottawa, I am just saying that the government won't pay for two routes, which would be needed for efficient travel to both Montreal and Toronto, and that the route to Montreal will be more likely to be built. Imagine the political firestorm of delaying every passenger for you estimation at least 30 minutes (and likely more) between Montreal and Toronto, when this is a provincially led project. Especially when Montreal is more likely to become the highspeed hub (more than one highspeed line) than Toronto (with a Boston - Montreal line).

Eventually they might build a more direct route, ala the 416, but I wouldn't count it likely until the primary line is done, and even then it would take alot of political pressure to do so.
You're still not getting the fact that the proposed route does not follow the St. Lawrence river through Ontario:
from highspeedrail.ca

HSR would need dedicated ROWs and there are plenty of abandoned rail corridors that are easier to deal with than the overused lines along the seaway.