View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:58 PM

i know most people won't agree with me, but i always found this building to be an example of some bad 80s ideas. i was never a fan of po-mo, but this building kinda took some of the ideas too far. other forumers have already mentioned the awkward proportions, i'm assuming the proportions were a result of the compromise between the office and residential sections, and because 80s building technology made relatively regular floor plates much easier to build.

for one, the windows are too small. the small window apertures made sense when walls were load bearing. but this was built in the modern era, with a core and skeleton frame. aside from aesthetics, there was no need to have all that masonry/concrete block the occupants' views. or just have bigger windows and the po-mo flourishes throughout the rest of the facade.

for a po-mo/art deco building, its facade is surprisingly bare. for a high-dollar project 80s project, it would have benefited from more detailing.

that said, the fundamental design is sound. po-mo isn't my fav ism, but the building for the most part is done right.