View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:13 AM
waves

Glad to see you back at it full force. There is a lot of stuff and this map and after looking at it for 20 min I still feel I likely missed something.

I will try to stick to what I know best: the North Shore

Developments
  • Cypress Heights: You may still see development yet, but not above the 1200m development height restriction.
  • Grouse Heights: It is steep already at the top edge of development in the Montroyal area. Think of the infamed Skyline Dr for longboarding. Going past this is highly unlikely and would eat into many many local trails (Baden Powel, BCMC, Skyline, Powerline Trails).
  • Seymour Heights: This highly litigious parcel under ownership by CMHC has been the topic of heavy debate between the community and the landowner for many many years. Problems continue to arise even to this day. It is possible this land gets developed but also highly unlikely.
  • The Indian Arm Development Expansion: Could be possible. Would have to meet the conditions of the following bylaw.

Transportation
  • The Railway T-Intersection at the south end of the Second Narrows Bridge: The railway going over the bridge doesn't have a connection to CP's line going from downtown to Port Coquitlam. It actually comes right out of a tunnel that connects to the Grandview cut. If you were to make this work you might have to do something similar to what is done in Yoho National Park with the twin tunnels (build a Right-Right-Right circular tunnel). Not impossible but very impractical.
  • Dollarton Seabus: This doesn't make a lot of sense since that is Cates Park and the other side is just houses. Would make more sense to connect Deep Cove to Port Moody/Coquitlam.
  • Eight Laning Hwy 1 from 2nd Narrows to Taylor Way: Ambitious. I don't think the cross sectional width from Westview to Capilano Road would be able to support such an increase? Right now Mountain Hwy to 2nd Narrows is a bottleneck and really should be a cut and cover 8 lane highway. Not going to happen unfortunately, at least not this time round.
  • Anvil Island Bridge: +1
  • Lonsdale Gondola: I would need convincing. Also, going up the 29th hill would be silly, better to terminate it at Harry Jerome, then have an East West Line starting at Grouse Mountain, past Cap Suspension Bridge, Edgemont Village, Delbrook Community Center, Westview, Harry Jerome, over the highway to Lynn Valley Road and continue it up Lynn Valley Road, up Mountain Highway and then terminate it at the Mountain Biking parking lot
  • Jericho Seabus: I think you were aiming for Dundrave, but you went a little bit too far West. It's an 11km Ferry Ride and could take about 30 min roughly. Seabus is already one of the most expensive things Translink uses. For every Seabus trip they run, they could run 20 full length 240 bus trips. This is also part of their motivation to have the buses as a one zone pass to actually decrease Seabus usage in favour of buses.
  • Inlet Express Commuter Rail: To get any ridership on this, it needs to be competitive against other modes. Does it get you from Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay faster than the Seabus? Horseshoe Bay faster than the 257? Phibbs faster than the 210? The one advantage it may have is Phibbs to Park Royal - I don't see the advantages elsewhere.

Also, the creek watershed idea in Coquitlam is interesting. I don't have the background knowledge though to comment on feasibility.