View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Please stop trying to make excuses. It's a lame set back box with no design innovation. Also it's actually shorter than sears so no real height innovation.
No, it's not a box, it's taller than Willis by all measures, and equal in height to 1 WTC. I'll certainly take it.

If you don't like "boxes" then you will never like buildings in NYC. NYC is built on a grid.

You will never have a large proportion of NYC highrises that don't meet the streetwall, because unlike almost every other city out there, NYC builds skyscrapers right to the lot lines, rather than Pudong-style, in stand-alone, set-back style. This means that NYC will always build mostly boxes, because any other shape will degrade the urban form. Even in Hong Kong, an extremely urban city, the tallest buildings are fundamentally anti-urban and Pudong-style.

I personally prefer the Manhattan style over the Pudong style because I am more an urbanist than a skyscraper fan. if the highrise isn't contributing to the urban environment, to me, it doesn't make sense.