View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think the new density is more suitable then the original proposal and I think the whole revised proposal is much better overall, but being perhaps the marque development for the area (at least for the immediate future) I don't think it's quite good enough. If this one another piece of infill then it would be completely acceptable.

What would I change, lover the height of the 19 storey tower at least another storey, perhaps I'd even go down 2. I do like the fact that they are doing a flat iron style building as it plays homage to Kingsway, think the massing at Broadway and Kingsway could benefit from a similar flat iron massing instead of the current street wall. So ideally I would transfer a little height from the 10th ave tower and place it on a reconfigured Broadway massing.
I'd also prefer they just provide a few extra ft of sidewalk and do away with
with the arcade entirely, there doesn't seem to be much support for it. Also unlike the Lee building this arcade won't provide any summer shade as that whole side is already shaded. The gum wall I also don't care for but I feel it probably suits the area so I'm fine with it if the locals are. Watson could be very special if we make it so, I feel this project isn't doing it's best here and instead is concentrating on 10th Ave more so.
Most of my critiques would require a major redesign though and I don't see it happening, so that said, if they were to lower the higher tower a floor or two it would be enough for me to voice modest support for it.