View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
I'm generally not in favor of more stringent planning and development codes, unless government money is involved. The developers on Forbes have the right to develop their property as best they see fit. The government shouldn't tell people what they can or cannot do with their property as long as it fits within the zoning. I've been involved in far too many instances where the local government is out of control and holding back development.
Sure, and because of this notion, we get the god-awful Buncher properties around our city and on our riverfronts; we get a cement factory in the heart of the city, we get riverfront apartments that resemble a motel 6; we get a Goodyear outlet more suited to McKnight Rd right downtown; we get a suburban motel next to our new arena... should I go on? How about Allegheny Center?

What we get are mistakes... and their costs are exponential.

Also, the development on Forbes DID NOT comply with the zoning laws. They had to get variances for height, density, and setbacks. As was stated above, the city takes anything it can get; city government is every bit as complicit in flawed development as private developers are, if not more so.