View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 12:30 AM

LJinPA: I agree, those perspectives of the skylines of both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are great. I also like going into Wilkes-Barre across the Market St. bridge from Kingston ( a beautiful bridge designed by the same firm (Lescaze?) that designed the Fifth Avenue library in New York City). It take you thru the portals of the bridge and into two blocks of tall buildings, both sides and then to Public Square...which opens out.
There used to be a wonderful view of the whole city from Rte 11 where it rises from Plymouth on the west Side to a bluff before descending into the "narrows'. However, with development of commercial buildings, the view has been miserably blocked.
If you go up E. Northampton Street all the way to the mountain top ( the route of the annual Giants' Despair race) in the winter, there's a rehab facility (once an FM Kirby mansion with a commanding view of the wyoming Valley especuially at night.
FOR those who've never been to the area, the two cities line a vast valley nearly forty miles long developed with towns and cities... a spectaular ribbon viewed from the air or from I-81 heading north from the Nuangola exit, then over the mountain to WB.
Or from I-81 south of Wilkes Barre around the Highland Boulevard exit, althouh new development below has obscured the distant dramatic view of downtown below in the river valley. Great nighttime views.
If I recall, there's a great vista of Scranton from Rte. 11 at the top of the hill descending down into the city's valley. Maybe you can clarify, LJ.