View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 9:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
well, as far as cleanliness, the two cities' rivers actually seemed to be about the same. both chicago and milwuakee have combined sewers that will overflow into their rivers during very heavy rainfalls, so they're both kinda dirty. oddly enough, the main branch of the chicago river is probably the cleanest stretch of any of them because it's essentially just lake water due to the fact that the main and south branches now flow backwards.

on the nature front, i saw that you looked through the chicago river south branch thread, and it is indeed very heavily industrialized and channelized. you should also check out the chicgao river north branch thread because once you get north of diversy, the chicago river takes on a much more natural feel as well.

chicago river north branch thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=159531
I recently discovered the joys of urban kayaking... it's actually not a bad date idea, for the right girl.

I'm gonna nominate Denver. The Platte River/Cherry Creek look like fantastic urban kayaking opportunities, although the creek might be too shallow at times.