View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Honestly, i feel Kelowna is not as bad as some of you make it out to be. Been there many times myself.

It does have urban design problems, and there is far too much sprawl throughout the valley eating farmland and grasslands on the hills, but the downtown core is decently nice, and they did add a lot of infill during the economic boom of the mid 2000s.

Since 2008 though Kelowna has been kind of cursed. The city has been proactive in trying to get taller / larger projects off the ground (look at all the projects already green lit now, Monaco, the two hotel towers, Sopa, etc...) but sadly everything seems to stall / fall through due to economic.

Hopefully this is the year where a little luck falls on Kelowna (hell, I would be happy with simply getting Sopa completed, along with getting Lucy going and maybe one of the two hotel towers going).
I agree that they've done a really nice job with the downtown core. The lakefront and area along Bernard St are both very well done, but I just find that if you fly into the city, by the time you've gone past all the strip malls getting to downtown, your impression of the city is already ruined. Same thing coming in from the connector with all the strip malls in West Kelowna.