View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 4:36 AM
Meh

Down in the creek is where the issues are. Right now it's pretty nasty, or at least was. My dad, my brother and I and friends used to go "creeking" or "screening" down there. My dad made a square frame with 2x4s and covered it with some wire to make a screen. We would then go down into the creek and hit the holes in the creek. There are these places in the creek bed where the water flows over and drops all kinds of stuff. Coins, jewelery, and old trinkets. Besides tons of modern money (change), we also found gold rings, silver coins, gold chains, old buttons (civil war), and other old stuff. I found a Club House Saloon token, and then a few days later was offered $200 for it. We also collected old bricks that had washed in there. These were old bricks that used to pave the streets in downtown. We reused them and paved our driveway with them, built a patio and walkways in the yard. That was 15 years ago. Anyway, we also saw plenty of homeless people down there. There was the garbage, but then there was also human feces along the shore and one time I remember seeing a guy bathing in the creek.

Of course, none of the homeless people ever really bothered us, and they easily could have. It was often times just my dad and me (I was a young teenager). Other times it was my dad and I, my brother and a friend of my dad. I remember seeing plenty of them sleeping under the bridges along the creeks.

Also with every major rain came floods and trash and debris washed into the creek and would also erode away the soil, sidewalks, trees and even huge concrete barriers. So if they could control the floods, I could see a huge benefit down there. Of course, I'm kind of torn on this though, because if they do it, it'll mean no more creeking since it'll always be full of water.