View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
We've hashed out the Dennis Bldg here before and it is a totally unsuitable building for present-day use. That is why the document I posted from 2007 calls for facadism. But even that would be tough because the floor heights are too low and so the fenestration would be totally out of whack.
I don't where this ceiling height issue comes from--the floor to ceiling height is 12 feet, identical to the Gooderham (Flatiron) Building in Toronto, which contains some of the most expensive and desirable Class B office real estate in Canada. There are zillions of repurposed older buildings with a similar ceiling height.

It wouldn't qualify for Class A space, but so what? Residential, institutional, or, gasp, Class B office space are all possibilities here. I've never heard a preservation/demolition debate hinging on ceiling height like this one. It's seems like a weird red herring to fixate on (especially when the recommended height is merely one foot taller).

The interior air quality is a much more significant concern. I'm not arguing that the building needs some major renos--a total gutting inside, probably. But the shell is extremely valuable, and perfectly serviceable for new uses.

And besides, the report suggests that "restoration can be cost equivalent or less expensive that new construction." Of course, we won't know unless a more detailed report is carried out, but the financials don't initially seem to be at all prohibitive for preservation. Demolition should be off the table in this case.

Anyway, off topic, I guess...