View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 2:51 PM

Thanks for the comments! Sorry, no update this time - just replying.

The model might seem very complex, but that's just an illusion I'm trying to create. In the main model all the buildings are just 100% textured. For the renderings I do some "staging". In the renders the closest building will allways be 100% geometry - or to be accurate, just the side(s) seen in the shot is. One or two next closest buildings will be about half and half textures and geometry. The more distant buildings are just textured with reflection maps. I might also use bump maps on occasion, but in those first two renders no bump maps were used. The textures are just well contrasted. The making of different versions of the same building with different levels of detail is a bit of extra work, but I think it's well worth it - hopefully I'll be able to model a large city, but still give good-looking street level renders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Are you basing this city off of a town called Hershey, PA?

It looks a lot like it.
No, not based on Hershey. The layout and the zoning are based on a real city, but the looks aren't. After all, I'm using my Rocane textures, which were influenced by buildings in a bunch of different cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyao View Post
Damn thats sexy! I'm not surprised its taking so long to build, the level of detail is high. You'll probably kill sketchup before you complete one block. Indecently how big is Bourne, can you show us an aerial view?
I'm building Bourne in sections and will give you an aerial after each section is finished. I have still work to do on the first section, but I have over half done.