View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
While I see the odds of this happening being very minimal, it saddens me more that such a building is not being built downtown.
I am going to play devil's advocate for a minute and say the following two things: 1) this project may very well go ahead; and 2) buildings like this may soon be built downtown.

I say this due to the following Ottawa Citizen story that I read today: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...183/story.html. This interesting article explains how the long-term vision for Centretown in the Centretown Community Design Plan is at odds with the city's current zoning codes. However, what is very intriguing about this disconnect is that it's deliberate. In a nutshell, the city is telling developers that they can build tall buildings in Centretown, but if they want to do so they will have to provide community benefits (i.e. pony up extra money) as the city plans to use s. 37 of the Planning Act moving forward.

After reading this article I saw the story about the Claridge proposal on Preston. This got me thinking that perhaps the city will entertain a 42-floor building, but only if Claridge provides sufficient s. 37 benefits.