View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 2:11 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I'm saying they buy houses with cues that draw from historical styles because they like those styles. That doesn't mean I like the snouts, square footage, insustainability, or low construction quality. Also, their preference of styles isn't related to their desire for big driveways.
I don't think they care much about styles. It's more about what is familiar. Unlike with large buildings, there is a general concensus in our society that a residential house must look a certain way, like it came from a certain era, to be considered "human".

The similarities between most single detached houses built today and the houses they are "based" on from a century ago is extremely superficial. Many of them are so simply that they could very well be considered modern, and not traditional, which throws your argument that people want those old styles out the window.

And most of the time when someone with money builds the house they dream of, what does it look like? Why, it's often modern and contemporary, not a poor facsimile of traditional styles!