View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 7:25 PM

pdxman: Depends on he complexity of the project, and if I feel like working on them! At the best, I've made one in a day. At the worst, nearly a year. I've found a bunch of tricks that have considerably sped things up.

pdxtex: To make these, from modeling to working in-game, takes about 4 programs at the least. At the most 7 if you want to bust out some fancy programming mods. The modeling part is a Maxis propriatary shell over GMax called BAT (Building Architect Tool). GMax is a free 3d project, a sorta buggy limited version of 3d Studio or 3ds Max. The rest of the needed programs are the plugin manager, which sets up the attributes of the building, and the Lot Editor, which sets up the building's appearance on a plot of land. The extra stuff I use are 3rd party freeware written specificly to help mod attributes of the building's default game lots. I'm not a computer geek either, but I know a bit about how SC4 works now...

My first, really bad attempt at 3d modeling:
(some of these were reborn, serving as the basis for better attempts)

The original Transit Mall models. Things look much nicer in Rhino 3d, don't they?

This one's on hold indefinetly. Just this portion of the building crashed my old PC because it is mega-detailed! But definetly one of my faves:

I hope that I can eventually get around to this again...

And one that I recently returned to (and had to rebuild), in Rhino 3d:

I'll post more stuff maybe later, maybe tomorrow. Got a busy day...