View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popewiz View Post
Honestly, I'm ok with not having Applebee's and Chili's in the city...
Maybe they're not going to help anyone develop an "educated palate," but those high-volume chain restaurants have generated many a tuition payment, rent check and bag of groceries. While I was in undergrad, I waited tables at a lot of places like that - places I wouldn't be at all interested in eating at now. (I wouldn't refuse if invited there by someone, it's just not what I'd choose.) I remember having to frequently go inside the bank rather than using the ATM because you can't cram an envelope stuffed with $100 in fives and ones into that little slot. I certainly wasn't getting money like that from my minimum wage on-campus jobs.

If it weren't for the presence of places that some of us find too suburbanesque, there would be a whole lot less money in circulation to be be spent at the independent coffee shops, the intown boutiques and locally-owned restaurants, "fancy" or otherwise.

(I'll leave aside the weak, gimmicky "young women in low-cut/short/tight clothes as part of the furniture" aspect of sports bars.)