View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I agree that Manhattan avenues shouldn't (and won't ever) be converted to pedestrian-only, your anecdote isn't really relevant to anything.

Someone's personal preferences shouldn't trump the public good, and there are few things more anti-public good than allowing private automobiles to come into Manhattan without paying huge fees.

Really no one needs to drive into Manhattan, and those that do need to pay a hell of a lot more than they currently do. Eventually we'll have congestion pricing and/or tolls on all entryways. There's no other way we're going to be able to function.

Yay! More fees! The answer to everything -- higher taxes, and more fees! God knows we don't have enough of that in New York.

And I agree..no way will New York ever to be able to function without higher taxes, more fees! Gosh, I can't wait to finally experience New York when it is a functioning city! God knows New York doesn't function. What a mess of a city. New York will never be a world city until we finally find a way for it to function! Maybe when we can finally get New York to function it will become desirable enough to get people to drop $30mm, $50mm and $100mm on apartments! And we can finally get some tourists to this functioning city! And maybe we can create a world renowned financial system! We'll name it Wall Street!

/sarc.

Just widen the sidewalks, landscape heavily and stfu. I'm so sick of (generally unattractive) pedestrian plazas and shoving more people onto the unbearably crowded and rat infested subway system being the answer to every 'progressive's' wet dream. Or better yet -- take the silly pedestrian plazas to the East Village and Williamsburg and leave money-making Midtown Manhattan alone. It is the richest and most important place on the planet and the last thing it needs is more ridiculous street blockages disturbing commerce and their limos.

Last edited by 599GTO; Dec 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM.