View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:41 PM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
US-280 in Birmingham would probably benefit most from having better traffic-signal synchronization and a few key overpasses at major intersections, but not the whole road.
As we were discussing this earlier a coincidence just occurred.

Breaking news!! update about the US 280 corridor project..some of it is going to become elevated. Get ready to break out some change because it's going have tolls. (remind you of another city east of here..400) Don't hold your breath but they say the project will be done in 3 years.

source: http://www.cbs42.com/mostpopular/sto...pIjm1tp2A.cspx (news clip showing the rendering)

Riley's Plan for Highway 280

If you've traveled Highway 280 during rush hours, you recognize the heavy slow traffic.

"The traffic on 280 is really bad. It has been for years," says Kristy Matthews.

"On the way to work today, I was just at a dead halt," says George Waits.

Today Governor Bob Riley unveiled a new plan to fix 280 by adding four toll lanes.

From Double Oak Mountain to and over I-459, the new lanes would be on an elevated road.

From I-459 to the Red Mountain Expressway, the road would be widened to add the four lanes, making a ten lane road at grade.

According to Riley, there would be no toll booths. Rather, drivers would use electronic passes.

"The idea of a toll road is probably one of the better ones I have heard of. As far as expanding, there's just not a whole lot of room," says Matthews.

"The idea of expanding lanes would be great," says Waits.

Only the new four lanes would require tolls. Nevertheless, many drivers aren't thrilled about the idea of paying to travel 280.

"As a college student I'm not really looking for another reason to take out a loan," says Waits.

"I don't think they should charge the people who live in those counties who would benefit from the roads every day," says Jack Cardinal.

Cardinal is the manager of Fox and Hound Pub and Grille. He's afraid the tolls would hurt 280 businesses.

"People are going to think twice about getting off if they have to pay a toll to get on and another toll to get off."

Because of potential noise and an unflattering look, a couple of years ago the elevated highway idea was shot down by Homewood, Mountain Brook, and Vestavia residents. Tonight Riley is hoping that residents who use the road, such as Kristy Matthews, will embrace this new solution.

"It's definitely past time to make a change and improve the conditions even if just a little bit on 280," says Matthews.

If the proposal moves forward, Governor Riley says the expansion would be completed in three years.