View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:08 PM

Why try to fix that which is totally Broken?

RTD Wants to “Reimagine” Its Services, but First It Has to Staff Them
OCTOBER 9, 2019 By CHASE WOODRUFF - Westword
Quote:
Amid these staffing troubles, there’s at least one bright spot, RTD staff told directors on Tuesday. The agency is having much better luck hiring train operators for its commuter rail lines, including for the N Line to Thornton
A) Obviously, RTD has too many chiefs, not enough Indians; too many Chefs, not enough cooks.
There's too much red tape, too much waste, too much politics. Blow it up and create a private sector company who knows how to run a business which could contract out to operate bus service to anyone who wants it. It could be RTD or suburban cities could contract with whoever they want.
(Note: I have a caricature of bunt on my left shoulder and a conservative on my right shoulder)

B) I've read so many Streetsblog pieces I think I could repeat their talking points in my sleep when it comes to bus service. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing; the best response is "It depends" on context and details.

C) Give 'em what they want
We want frequent service on a grid system. We want to stiff the suburbs.
Fine! What suburban city needs Big Bertha buses running on their streets anyway that couldn't be better served by shuttle-style buses. Shuttle-sized buses would likely be much easier to find drivers for.

D) There will be exceptions
The Flatiron Flyer is a part of FasTracks so that would continue.
Lakewood and Aurora may want to buy into extended service along Colfax for example.
Etc.

Last edited by TakeFive; Oct 10, 2019 at 8:19 PM.