View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:27 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljuarez View Post
I was wondering about those other developments in the Northern part of the downtown peninsula, around Coal Harbour and West Georgia Street. I remember that despite it being a pretty nice day, the area was pretty dead and no one seemed to be out and about. Has that changed? Construction has continued and I was wondering if any of those places had actually turned the area into a place where people would actually want to hang out in...
The area around Coal Harbour and West Georgia (also known as Triangle West) has come along nicely since 2005. There were many towers u/c (or about to be started) in the area back then and they've all topped out now and some are now occupied and some are not quite there but very close. Pedestrian activity has definitely picked up in the area, though there is certainly still room for improvement. The retail density in the area has really improved but there are still a good 10 or so recently completed retail spaces spread around a few new buildings that have yet to find tenants.

These are some of the buildings in the area you've mentioned that have been completed since 2005 or are near completion (all pics by me unless otherwise stated):

Harbour Green 2 (white tower in foreground):

Coast Hotel (u/c building to the left) and The Melville (building with pointy sail):

The Shangri-La (tall angular building down the street):

Cielo:

The Loden Hotel:

by vacantready at flickr.com

The Ritz (u/c building in centre) and The Flatiron (u/c building to right) - both are topped out currently and very near residential/retail occupancy (also visible are the Melville with the sail and the Shangri-La u/c behind):

The Sapphire (now completed)

The newer retail establishments that have setup shop in the last year or so in the area include (off the top of my head) the Urban Fare grocery store (bottom of Cielo), a Shopper's Drug Mart (bottom of The Ritz), Waves coffee shop (bottom of Sapphire), Starbucks (bottom of The Melville), a car rental place (bottom of the Melville), a sushi place (bottom of the Melville), and a salad-based lunch place (bottom of the Melville). And also a bank in the bottom of an older office building across the street from the Flatiron. There is also a new restaurant in the new Loden Hotel that just opened as well. There is also a Burberry and a second new Urban Fare grocery store in the base of the Shangri-La on Georgia Street. It is not quite finished yet so soon there will be a few other places opening in the base including a restaurant and a sculpture garden.

Retail pics:

Shopper's visible on right with (barely visible) Waves coffee on other corner

Base of the Melville:

by vacantready at flickr.com

Urban Fare at Cielo:

by freedryk at flickr.com

Urban Fare in base of Shangri-La:

by caveat.doctor at flickr.com