View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:54 AM

Back in February me and my wife took a week off to head over to the Canadian Rockies and the Kootenays for six fabulous days in the slopes.

It was a great winter in British Columbia, but our trip began in a pouring rain brought to us by a mid-winter Pineapple Express. In the town of Hope the snow banks were high, yet it was pouring.

Previous night all mountain highways out of Lower Mainland had been closed, but Coquihalla Highway had been opened shortly before our arrival. Little did we know that choosing to cross it would result in thousands of people being stuck in their cars for the night...

Despite hundreds of other people in the same situation, it is still a lonely feeling to be stuck on a mountain highway in a snow blizzard with dying daylight.

Fortunately we got past the problem spot and driving conditions east of Coast Mountains were not too bad the next day. These are from Trans-Canada Highway enroute to Revelstoke.

This place always looks so interesting. I wonder how popular holiday destination it is, so far from everything?

Arriving in Revelstoke the weather had improved. Revelstoke had a fresh dump of snow from the previous night, which made for a great day in the slopes.

I really liked Revelstoke and we will surely return there again for more skiing! Our next stop was Golden, where we would spend two days exploring the these steep mountains of Kicking Horse.

Up on the summit is Eagle's Eye, which claims to be the highest restaurant in Canada at 2,450 meters (8,033 feet) above sea level.

On a nice day the views are absolutely incredible and what a day we had!

To go to the very summit, take the chair lift up to Stairway to Heaven and you are... in heaven.

These vistas were the first leg of our long trip and more photos from the Kootenays region soon in part 2.