View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
My situation is such that I've never had to question my ethnicity (Scottish, right down the line on both sides after up to 7 generations in Canada), but I wonder what my response would be if my Canadian-born father had been of Scottish/German ancestry and my Canadian-born mother had been of English, Irish and Finnish stock? I think I would be inclined to answer "Canadian", because nothing else makes much sense, unless "mixed European" could be considered an ethnicity.
The problem with Canadian as an available answer is that people like you, who totally unambiguously should select "Scottish", could very well instead select "Canadian" even if they're well-meaning, defeating the point of wasting resources on doing an ethnicity survey in the first place.

"I don't know"

"I don't care"

"I'm of mixed ancestry and I know the proportions" (in which case you'll count as these proportions in the census)

"I'm just too mixed for this survey to make sense"

should all be available answers. They don't overlap, unlike "Irish" and "Newfoundlander" and "Canadian", or "French" and "Canadien" and "Québécois".