View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
"The winning entry described Halifax as a rambunctious teenager trying to find his way. That didn’t quite capture it for me.

I would see Halifax as a classy lady in late middle age."

It's pathetic when the winning entry describing Halifax isn't enough for this opinion article. What a waste of time. If 'Lady Halifax' is worried about her weight then maybe she should stop sprawling!

I should have known the article was a joke from its title -- comparing Skye Halifax, a residential building, to the observatory that is the Eiffel Tower. Give me a break. This article's author, Gail Lethbridge, should try becoming a fiction writer instead.
I didn't get the sense that she was comparing Skye to the Eiffel Tower per se. I think the point was more that if the Eiffel Tower were proposed here, it would be shot down because it violates height regulations. It makes no difference what positive qualities proposed developments have, if they're too high then they don't belong here. We are not allowed to build anything that might be considered more iconic than what already exists.