View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 2:55 PM

I think this thread brings up an interesting discussion however. And that is, are we really that happy with the continued suburbanization of our downtowns?

Downtown Toronto has always had amazing places to purchase food, be it the special market districts, or even the couple supermarkets that were always downtown.

But does opening a supermarket on every single corner add to downtown. I don't think so. It just makes it more a boring place and continues the trend of making downtown no more different than the places it so loves to say it is not.

And to be honest, I think a landmark like Maple Leaf Gardens should have been used for something else that really would be a regional draw and allow all residents to enjoy it while celebrating its heritage. A chain supermarket does not do that.

If i want over 400 kinds of cheese, I will go to St. Lawrence Market or Kensington Market, where I can support local downtown business, and enjoy an even wider selection. Being in that Loblaws, you could be anywhere.

So yeah I don't really know how much of a celebration this is.
I am not against supermarkets. I use supermarkets sometimes, and also the market districts. But I really don't get excited about yet another place downtown being turned into a carbon copy of the suburbs.

When people used to move downtown 15 or 20 years ago, it was because they loved the urban lifestyle and wanted to be part of the downtown lifestyle and economy. They were proud of the fact that they supported places like St. Lawerence Market or Kenzington Market. Now people are moving downtown and want a superstore Loblaws that they can drive to once a week as if they are living in the suburbs. That I am sorry is not what makes a great downtown. And I know plenty of people who moved downtown who do just that. They have not stepped food in the areas that make downtown so interesting in probably years. They really might as well be living in the suburbs.