Thread: 2018 CFL Season
View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's not anymore concerned with its image as any other Canadian market and a fair number of US markets. I would even boldly say Toronto is one of the least concerned with image out of the Canadian markets well known to me. Your analogy doesn't fly. No one likes paying to watch a team going nowhere. That has nothing to with image. The Yankees couldn't draw flies in the late 80s, early 90s either.

That's why the constant whining over Torontonians being embarrassed with the CFL is freaking funny. First. The league can survive without Toronto. Second. There simply aren't very many true fans of the game in Toronto. The stadium is also in the wrong place.
The analogy works fine when you consider that the Argos have been successful yet don't sell tickets, while TFC has largely been the opposite for the majority of their existence. The Argos and league have a negative perception in Toronto that is undeniable. The city wants it's shiny toys, which is true of every city I'll admit, but Toronto takes it to a ridiculous degree. It's the only city I've ever seen where a team wins a championship and the response is ridicule, but that's what the perception of the team is. MLSE can definitely change that by making going to the games appealing and exciting too younger people. That's not debatable.

I don't think the Argos could survive with a stadium in another location (like the suburbs which seems to be where people suggest). How many big teams does Toronto have that don't play in the core? Zero. Moving the team anywhere north of the U of T is a recipe for disaster. Move the team outside of Toronto itself and you lose all hope of reclaiming fan support.