View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm lucky to be a Chicagoan, but I've also witnessed a remarkable transformation as New Orleans has come back - not just from Katrina but from a massive streak of blight and abandonment that has dogged the city since the 80s. So I know for a fact that such turnarounds are indeed possible.

The only question is, what drives Jacksonville's economy? You can't rebuild a city without economic growth. To get that growth, you have to offer something unique, and there has to be some kind of way to attract business growth. Low taxes aren't really an option since large cities can never compete with suburban areas on that score - so cities need to offer something unique and market themselves.
I don't think your question was answered, and if it already was then I missed it. The economic drivers that I'm aware of are: the naval bases, the deepwater port, the financial/insurance industry, tourism/hospitality, manufacturing, and others that someone else could expand upon. If I'm not mistaken, the economy in Jacksonville isn't all that bad.