View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
There's been PLENTY of growth to justify retail expansion though. It's called increased personal DEBT, and it's an ever-perpetuating cycle (I of course speak as one within this system as well). The more crap stores that we see around us, the more of that stuff we want to buy. I'll be the first to admit it... I love IKEA and I shop there for most of my furniture. It's cheap, multi-functional, good quality, and unlike many items I'm going to find at mom and pop stores. It would be nice to support more local groups, but I'm hooked in to IKEA's "brand".
IKEA is a store you go to what like every 5 years. You don't buy furniture every year. I can't remember the last time I was in IKEA, as I went there to buy a shelf and have had no need to buy any furniture.

However I do want new shelfs, and I will be going to a mom & pop store downtown for them. I was walking around downtown a couple weeks ago and found this store that makes pure hardwood shelves. And they were much more sturdy than the IKEA shelves I have, and they were only like $30 bucks more than the poorly built IKEA ones.