View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2013, 1:49 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Smile CLEVELAND - Courage, Marathon, and Muggings!

I apologize that I haven't posted many photos lately - first and foremost, my camera (Canon XSi) which I've had since 2009 and has been to Hawaii and Key West and countless points in between finally bit the dust. It was a sad moment but when I think of all the places it went with me, and the shots I got - I guess it was time to move on. Being budget minded, I did a half-step upgrade to a Canon 60D - so far, I'm very pleased. That said, I took the new camera out for a spin this weekend - originally to get neighborhood and skyline shots but ended up getting the American Courage ship winding its way along the Cuyahoga and then hitting up the Cleveland Marathon where I was 'mugged' several times

First shot of downtown with the 60D from Franklin Avenue:

Zion United Church of Christ on West 14th in Tremont:

The Chelsea on West 14th in Tremont - one of the first buildings outside of downtown to have an elevator:

Lemko Hall - once a social club, now condos - was featured in 'The Deer Hunter':

I think that's pretty much every day, right? This mural graces the wall of the Treehouse, a popular bar in Tremont:

Also featured in 'The Deer Hunter' - St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral:

A rather ornate residence facing Lincoln Park in Tremont:

View of the Innerbelt Bridge construction from Abbey Avenue:

Down to Columbus Road - I was just going to snap a shot of the skyline but lo and behold, the American Courage was making its way around the river. One of my favorite things is just watching these 700' boats navigate the curves of the Cuyahoga:

Alright, the boat passed - might as well get a shot of the Terminal Tower:

Over to Cliff Drive near Edgewater Park which is one of my favorite spots on Cleveland's west side for skyline views

There's the American Courage again:

Plenty of people out enjoying Edgewater Park:

Caught a nice sunset:

Still figuring out the nighttime settings so this was as good as it gets for the evening skyline shot from Cliff Drive.

Next day was the Cleveland marathon - I walked about 5ish miles between Tremont and downtown - here's the first pic of the day. She was writing "Go Ed!" - hope he did well

First sighting of runners:

I believe the gentleman who is second from the left won the full marathon in 2 hours and 17 minutes.

With that, more shots of people running:

Sokolowski's being on the route seems like sadism - I mean, hey runners who have been training and dieting, stop in for pierogis and stuffed cabbage!!! :-D

Anyway, onto Abbey Avenue and more photos:

I get the whole "running = hot/overheated" but even so, I'm not a fan of being blasted with cold water:

Nice thing about the marathon - if you don't know the route, just follow the 20K people wearing numbered bibs:

I loved taking photos at the foot of the Lorain-Carnegie bridge - so many people saw the Guardians of Transportation and maybe felt inspired and were smiling. By the time they got to the downhill side, it was all anguish and agony

Oh, that reference to "muggings" in the title? Yeah, somehow people running this long can keep their composure long enough to "mug" for the camera. I think there were five of those on the bridge:

View of the new Innerbelt bridge construction:

Other photographers were all along the route:

Hell, I only walked 2.5ish miles at this point and saw the sign and thought it'd be worth it to find them!

But it was time to turn back and head over the bridge again:

I can barely keep my balance walking, much less zipping along on a skateboard!

Back into the Tremont area:

The former St. Vladimir church, now home to a Latino congregation which had live music for the marathon runners:

Closer to Lincoln Park, I ducked into the Pilgrim United Church of Christ - the largest of Tremont's 20+ historic churches:

Thanks to the pastor and staff for welcoming me to take photos during Sunday service set-up:

In addition to being a beautiful church - two of the stained glass windows are Tiffany designs