View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 1:00 AM

This plan makes me very nervous.

First, I agree with the nature of the DRWC Master Plan - it is MUCH more advantageous to spread out this level of development over 10 piers instead of concentrating it in 2 piers. There is so much vacant and privately-held land along the water that lack of land is not a reality for the Delaware in the next 20 years or so at least. Therefore, there is not risk and only benefit of spreading it out so that more of the public realm is improved. For those high-rise developments further north on the Delaware like Waterfront Square - what was gained from those? Select developers may have profited more (and maybe not given the condo-bust) and a few buildings are taller, but in isolation they contribute hardly anything to the neighborhood.

Second, what happens if this plan is only partially implemented (i.e. like Waterfront Square)? Yes the renderings look like lovely and active urban spaces but this whole plan will require it seems 3,000+ units of residential demand. Does anyone think that could realistically happen, even in a 10 year period? Instead, when this ends up being a few high-rises and a partially undeveloped pier, what will that contribute to the neighborhood? Nothing more than Waterfront Square did. If this is permissible than the city needs to be ready for the risks of a partial version of this to happen. This particular site is no better located than prior failed high-rise visions on the Delaware - there is no better transit access, arguably a worse neighborhood than prior attempts near Northern Liberties and Fishtown, and even if no housing bubble bursts there is no reason to think there is this much demand. So be ready for a partial vision.

I hope my nerves are misplaced and I would love to be proved wrong, but this to me is a recipe for disaster and repeating the mistakes we have already learned elsewhere on the Delaware.