View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
what do you think was there before your house was built?
Is this supposed to be an argument? How does the fact that Beaumont is built on land once similar to Parker a point against preserving the remaining natural area? I guess since we made a 'mistake' the first time, why should we care if we do it a second time. Is this what you're trying to articulate?

And will you all stop putting the term "wetlands" in quotation marks? What, do you really think that it's description was simply fabricated because some hippies wanted to save some dull and obscure species of spider from extinction? All you have to do is visit the area if you want to confirm that it is a ' "wetland" '. During the spring time and after very heavy rainfall, the area's surface can be completely covered with a sheet of water, giving it the temporary appearance of a lake. The area is a 3 fold mix of wetland, woodland, and grassland all overlapping with each other in one way or another. Of course it isn't any Oak Hammock Marsh. It isn't because you don't have to take a 1 hour drive out of the city just to get there. Instead you can just take a walk down your street if you want to experience an authentic piece of manitoba wetland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The amount of bullshit being spewed in relation to the Parker site is staggering. It's a piece of scrub land that has now been elevated to the status of the Amazon rainforest.
I'll repeat this one last time. This area is NOT THE SAME THING AS BARREN FARMLAND. People seem to be under the impression that the Parker lands are pretty much like the land that you'd see being offered up for new suburban developments, such as Precinct-K. The difference is that Precinct-K is nothing but abandoned farmland, wiped of any biodiversity long ago through excessive raping of it's soil by continuous crop cycles. The Parker lands, on the other hand, have never been developed, even for agriculture, so they have been preserved in their natural state with all it's wildlife intact. And if anything, the isolated nature of it's environment from any other large reserve of wilderness has done nothing but to actually increase the density of it's wildlife, making it an overcrowded island of sorts that forms a major anchor for animal navigation routes throughout the city, I'm guessing. If it really was just "scrub land" the nobody would devote a careers worth of time to preserving them. Maybe, just maybe, people want to preserve this place because they recognize that it's a very unique environment for an area right in the middle of the city to be hosting. Either that or they just seem to think that a dull wasteland of grass is the coolest thing ever - No wait, that's Assiniboine Park that I'm talking about....And basically 98% of all other parks in the western world.