View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:35 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I'm very happy to see all the activity, despite the minor inconveniences of driving downtown. I think the sewer separation at Allegan is the biggest wrench in the spoke, though. BTW, have you seen the new businesses going in on that block? One of the places looks to be a gut-rehab and it will be/is a nice looking hot dog place. Something else looked to be going on across the street as well, but I'm uncertain what it was.

It continues to amaze me when I read comments by readers on LSJ.com regarding how wasteful the downtown revitalization is and apparently for naught. So many suburbanites still believe that downtown is a ghost town and that there's nothing to do. To compare downtown to merely 10 years ago (and if we include Old Town) is nothing short of astonishing. The other day someone was actually arguing for keeping the City Club building simply because the tower isn't viable and no one wants to live downtown. Well, I say you can keep your home crappy Okemos...you don't even pay taxes here anyway. I vote for downtown!

Any time line on Ballpark North?
The hotdog place has been opened for a few months, now, I believe. There was an article in the paper a few weeks back discussing downtown revitalization during the recession and they interviewed the owner. I think it was really silly of her to open it as reconstruction started on the street. It's almost as if she is planning for the business to fail. Just terrible timing.

Nothing of Ballpark North is planned to rise at least for another year or two due to the economy. Gillespie said this in an interview a few months back. And, Market Place can't even start until they tear down the City Market. To be honest, I don't expect to see any kind of construction until at least 2011. By then, the New City Market will have been well established and the Accident Fund project winding up.