View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 11:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I think if you were to measure the metro area of most canadian cities, Greater Vancouver would probably have the worst crime rate and Montreal, calgary, and perhaps windsor would rank low on the crime rate scale.

Vancouver is a city with a very high property crime and thievery rate but conversely it has a relatively low violent crime rate.

Surrey is Vancouver's black Eye most definitely. It's the only place in Vancouver I have felt unsafe. Even the DTES isn't that bad, it is merely filled with a lot of druggies who tend to leave you alone.

The city of Vancouver alone is probably one of the safest cities in Canada, the metro area however is not.
DTES has enough people that you know if someone bad happens to you, as a non-DTESider, you will probably be helped pretty quick and it won't be too bad. That said, getting close to weird people makes a lot of "normal" people nervous so it's understandable that most people wouldn't feel safe there, even if the chances of them being a victim of anything are relatively low. I get a similar feeling when walking near our homeless shelter. There are a lot of suspicious people there, and there is a lot of crime, but hundreds of people walk by without issue because it's so visible.

In Surrey, there is hardly anyone around to help you if something happens. Except for a few locations it's got the same "it's dark and desolate and I feel nervous here" feeling as Winnipeg's North End and Thunder Bay's South Core and Court Street areas at night. (And I walked through Surrey Central at 1am while I was there last year, so got a sense of that.) I really didn't feel much different there than I did the worst parts of Thunder Bay and Winnipeg at 1am, aside from being aware that the degree of violent crime in Surrey can be a magnitude worse than what we have here.