Thread: Berlin
View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2008, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi204 View Post
That's not true. Within the city limits Berlin has got about 3.5 Million inhabitants and Paris just like 2.5 Million, i think even less. Most people living in Paris are living in highly populous townships in the outside of the city limits.
I know that. That's exactly what I said. That's why it doesn't make much sense to look only at the population living within the administrative city limits and claim that Berlin is the 2nd largest city in the EU. The administrative municipality of Berlin covers 892 km² whereas the administrative municipality of Paris covers only 105 km². Within the 892 km² of the administrative municipality of Berlin there live 3,415,742 people. If you take 892 km² of land around Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, there live 7.5 million people within that area. That's more than double the number of people who live in the 892 km² of Berlin. If you take 892 km² of land around the Puerta del Sol in Madrid, there live 4.2 million people within that area. That's 800,000 more than in the 892 km² of Berlin. If you take 892 km² of land around the Acropolis in Athens, there live 3.7 million people within that area. That's 300,000 more than in the 892 km² of Berlin. So are you still sure it makes sense to claim that Berlin is the second largest city in the EU?

The word "city" in English is polysemic, maybe "Stadt" in German only means the administrative city proper, I don't know, but in English, besides the meaning of administrative city proper, the word "city" is often loosely used to refer to an urban area, no matter the exact location of the administrative city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi204 View Post
Btw you should read more carefully.
I wrote: "With 3.5 million inhabitants within its city limits Berlin is the Germany's largest city by population and size and the 2nd largest city in the European Union."
Within its city limits
WITHIN
Fair enough, but again comparing population within administrative city limits is like comparing apples and oranges. Within city limits the City of Bristol (410,500 inhabitants) is more populated than the City of London (7,800 inhabitants).