View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Yeah, this base is absolutely awful - awful. Not sure what people's expectations were for the base of this one.....I think it's exactly as it appeared in renderings - or at least exactly how I expected it to appear - and that's very, very bad. I mean, how clumsy and awkward is this thing, because of the base?

All that being said, I think that the tower itself here is just fantastic. The tower work here in my view is a step-up for SCB......very nice work.

Yet....

......Shame about that base.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
This one is OK to me, but if those windows are dead-eyed (well, they're going to be), that's a bummer. The scoring on the precast panels looks ridiculous, though; for the prices they're charging for these condos, one would think they could get them to simulate actual masonry joints a little better (see the 'joints' that are inches away from the facade openings).
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I hate the base. Just hate it. Imagine the entire street lined with shit like this. It'd be like reverse alchemy. Or turning wine into water. Ugh. SCB might have been a good transition from the architectural disasters that befell River North in the '90s, but, IMO, in the 2010s with an expanded field that includes players like bKL, P and W, Goettsch-- even incipient high-rise architects like John Ronan and Krueck and Section-- SCB is barely a step up from Antunovich, primarily because of the deadening podiums they keep insisting on. And, you know what: I really think I'd take a ho-hum-- even ugly-- Antunovich tower with solid street presence over something like this.