View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 10:19 PM
Meh

Yeah, I'm certain now that it won't block the view of Frost. I'm thinking this building will only be about 300 feet tall. I remember the original design for the Hilton was a good bit different from the one we see today, and it was also 26 floors and 300 feet tall. That was before they added 5 floors of condos.

I had done a mock up model of this hotel last month with my LEGO model, and even with the hotel tower butting right up against Congress, at 300 feet the hotel wouldn't have blocked the view of Frost. It would have started to block the view if it had been 350 feet or taller. But I don't think it'll be that tall, and the tower is stepped back significantly from Congress. The building might even just barely show up on the skyline from South Congress at this design. One Congress Plaza will be nearly 100 feet taller than the hotel and is a really wide building.

And while I do wish the east side facade looked better, it's going to be pretty well hidden. Remember that there is the Hampton Inn a block east and the new planned Hyatt Place as well. And then there's the Manchester Hotel which will completely dominate that side of downtown anyway.

I'm hoping for some interesting accent lighting with this building. I'd like to see those boxes on the roof light with flood lights from inside. It could be an interesting look.

Thou shall not indict