View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sorry to break up the love-in, but I have to disagree. It is within the boundaries of a national historic site, and there is such a thing as a slippery slope when comes to a district like this slowly getting chipped away. The tunnel would be a great idea. But apart from that, sometimes people actually move between buildings without the benefit of a tunnel or an overhead walkway. They open the door of the building they are in and walk outside to the other building they are going to. They they open the door and go in. Plastering walkways everywhere is such a Winnipeg thing. We don't need new ones.
I'm on your side. If this was truly the edge of the heritage district, maybe you could argue for it. However, the entire east facade of the Roblin Centre (RRC) is historic, along with the east half of the north facade (full intact building facade). Plus, there's historic buildings for numerous blocks to the north, and even a block deep to the west – and those areas are starting to see development pick up.

Sure, the Marketlands will likely result in all new buildings – but even then, they will likely reflect the scale of the area, and the park/plaza area may even open up to Elgin there. I just don't see a case for it being allowed. If it's that important – build it underground.

Maintenance and tech staff that service all existing buildings don't seem to be up in arms about having to cross the street now. And even more, this building is a specific department – there's a good chance students and teachers may not even have classes in both buildings.