View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm not defending the Heritage Trust here, but I wouldn't say developers have "very little power." Most of the development-industry bigwigs who factor in these discussions (Ramia, Fares, etc) are, in fact, wealthy and locally powerful.

Developers clearly have a great deal of power and influence in this and most cities. That's not necessarily bad--but there is a weird idea floating around town that the development community are a bunch of hard-done-by Joe Schmoes just trying to invest in our city, but always being foiled by the Heritage Trust's schemes, which is just as simplistic as anything the HT trot out.

Lord, Halifax's civic discussion over development is weird as hell.

I'd still argue that, wealth aside, these guys aren't nearly as powerful as they are portrayed by the "David" side. If they were so powerful, they'd be able to cut through the years and years of delays, appeals, delays, challenges, and more appeals, and build whatever they want.

I am NOT saying that this would be a good thing. We want checks and balances. And we have them.

I think it is disingenuous of Trust supporters to suggest that there aren't already all kinds of balances in place against the developers. There are in fact so many checks and and balances that a large proportion of the population has indeed come to see the Trust and their allies as the bullies instead of as the heroes. People can't believe how much power the "anti-" side seems to have.

Last edited by portapetey; Jul 10, 2014 at 1:36 AM. Reason: my lousy typing