View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Would you or Acajack be okay with predominantly English ads? Or if you already have them, are you?

It's an alteration of the landscape to accommodate non-locals. Silly things like signs or bus stop ads are manifestations in our geography of our language, people and culture. When they change into a language that locals don't understand, it is now a space for non-locals. In fact, it explicitly disregards them.

Now I understand that my nationalist tendencies easily come through here and aren't shared by all, but I do find it funny that it's controversial. Supporting local businesses and all that is considered "good," why isn't supporting local languages?
No I am not OK with English only ad signs here as you can imagine. I think if I were maybe a Swede in Stockholm I'd be more zen but history makes a difference in how we view a number of things.

As for the situation in Richmond and Vancouver I can certainly understand and even be sympathetic to the people who are not comfortable with such things. I certainly will not scream racism automatically as soon as a concern is expressed, which seems to be the modus operandi of a lot of people these days.

Of course, I also know that the situation in the Vancouver area is quite different from what we had in Quebec at one point. You don't have Chinese, Philipino and even Anglos *becoming* Chinese-Canadians in Vancouver, for example.

So the short answer is that I am sympathetic, but it's not my battle. Or up to me to decide what to do.