View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

As for the other criteria mentioned, here's how my neigbourhood in a town of 75,000 people works out..

1) Chase

I guess this means a branch of whatever bank you use. I do have several ATMs within a 5-10 minute walk, all free to use, the nearest bank branches are around 10 minutes walk away. However I never use a bank branch, haven't been inside one for several years now. I'm with an app-only bank that doesn't have any physical presence, i maybe take money out of an ATM once every couple of months but 99% of my payments are on my phone/card so I don't see access to a physical bank as an essential these days.

2) USPS
3) UPS
4) FedEx

All postal services, i guess for picking up/sending parcels? Being in the UK there's obviously no USPS, but there are a couple of branches of the UK Post Office within a 10 minute walk. Not sure about UPS or FedEx, but there are various other companies doing the same thing at convenience stores etc within a few minutes walk.

5) Multiple coffee shop options

Yep, several of these within 5-10 minutes, go to 15 minutes and there are dozens of them

6) Multiple grocery options

Yep, a couple of larger supermarkets, a couple of smaller supermarkets, an indoor market with lots of food stalls, a few bakeries, delis, butchers shops, fishmongers etc twice a month farmers market, all within 15 minutes walk. Plus all 4 of the biggest UK supermarkets deliver a well as a few other online only grocery delivery services

7) Multiple laundromat options

There are two that I know of about 15 mins walk away, and the supermarkets have dry-cleaning services. But we have a washing machine so laundromat is not something I'd ever use in any case.

8) Multiple convenience store options

Yep, the small supermarkets mentioned above, plus a few others within 5-10 minutes walk that don't sell so much in the way of fresh groceries but have convenience products.

9) Quality, non-chain dining options

Yep, tripadvisor has around 250 restaurants and bars within a 20 minute walk, probably 70-80% of them are non-chain.

Then there is a large town park and riverwalk plus a couple of cinemas within 10 minutes walk, one multiplex and one small independent cinema. There's a theatre and a rail station within 15-20 minutes walk, and around 500 shops in the town centre anything between 5 and 20 minutes walk away.