View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:17 PM

Maybe its simply too simplistic for me to say this, but I think what this city needs is an infusion of youth, forward thinking, and maybe even a little bit aggressiveness at city hall. Or at least, the city should consider partnering with University urban planning programs in developing walkable, liveable neighborhood plans, with a key component being making the buildings & outdoor areas work with the cold winters. Nobody has to adopt them as 'official' but they'd certainly get some creative ideas (for cheap... maybe create a few co-op student positions out of this).

I'm almost starting to wish I had finished my Urban Planning program; I think pushing the potential here in Winnipeg would be a very fun and fulfilling career.

Still not bending on the Waterpark location though.
Which scenario would it be for the typical family?

Summer:
1) nice summer morning at the waterpark with the kids... oh look, theres a baseball game this afternoon! Lets go! Our car is safely parked for an all-day rate at the 'shindico pay n park n pay'; maybe grab some ballpark food... put a little money in Katz's pocket... then go home.
OR
2) nice summer morning at the waterpark with the kids... then a visit to the Forks for lunch... then a visit to the CMHR...
Winter:
1) nice swim at the waterpark on a frigid winter morning... walk the kids out into the covered parkade (don't want that wet hair freezing), and drive to McDonalds in Suburbia.
OR
2) Morning skate on the river at the forks... then lunch at the forks... then afternoon at the waterpark... car parked at the 'shindico pay n park n pay' all day.

Busy days: How much parking is the waterpark going to eat up? Will access to the forks actually be harmed by that? I guess the ONLY solution to that is MORE parking.

Last edited by Mininari; Apr 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM.