View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well, pwrof3, the same is probably true of downtown Long Beach as well as many other American cities.... Also, downtown L.A. is in the best shape it's been in in decades. Take the Blue Line up to check it out for yourself.
Oh, I know! Downtown Long Beach is pretty bad these days. Probably worse than Los Angeles.
I went to downtown LA last year and spent time at the Pueblo de Los Angeles, Pershing Square, Angels' Flight and the historic section of Broadway in what is now the diamond district (old Warner's theater).
It was in much better shape than when I went in the ealry 1990s, but it is still far from where it could be if people showed pride in their neighborhood. Lots of trash, broken curbs, sidewalks that haven't properly cleaned in decades. Of course, most of that is the city's fault for not taking care of the older parts of town (unless your by city hall).
I hope to head back to that area sometime soon just for the pure joy of seeing so many historical buildings. Although, when I was there last year, I felt like I was the only one who even knew the history of these buildings. Most folks didn't seem to care.
I hope to stay in the Biltmore one of these weekends just for fun.