View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

It does look more symmetrical there-- other than finding photographer's notes, perhaps someone tuning in has an LAPL library card and can access Sanborn maps online, which are usually very accurate in depicting the shapes of buildings... I access them thru NYU down the block from my apt, but I'm not in the city right now....
Upon reexamination of the original photo, it is not exactly clear that the subject building is a perfect square or rectangular.

It could be due to the angle or the the lens used, but . . . one "wing" of the building (bearing the placard) may be sitting a few feet forward of the other. However, unless one of the images were reversed, this seems opposite of what is depicted in your later found image. The earlier '48 image is blurry enough to chalk up to time of day conditions (or maybe the fact that pilot was distracted - by saucer shaped objects looking to land next to the mother ship (Simons @ Wilshire and Fairfax). Parenthetically, I wonder if the original building was on a hill or slightly elevated when compared to whatever is to the viewer's left of the building? (Could be time to look toward Maywood.)

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM.